As I became knowledgeable about how dangerous radon can be, I knew I needed to test my home. As a parent, nothing else matters more than your kids' health. Testing for radon is easy!
"I learned about radon when the radio station I worked with partnered with Lung Sask for their radon campaign in 2019. As I became knowledgeable about how dangerous radon can be, I knew I needed to test my home. As a parent, nothing else matters more than your kids' health. It's our job to protect our kids, so we used the 3-month test from Lung Sask and found out our radon levels were double the recommended amount.
When we met with the certified radon mitigation specialists, we found out the radon levels in the kids' playroom was 3 times higher than the acceptable Canadian standard of 200 Bq/m3. In our furnace room, our radon levels were above 3000 Bq/m3, which was scary high! My home office is 6 feet from the furnace room. Not fixing the radon issue wasn't even an option for my health and my family's health.
I work in radio and I know how powerful media and storytelling can be when it comes to public health awareness. That is why I am sharing my story. Testing for radon is easy! I encourage everyone to test their home today. If the levels in your home are high like mine were, they can be fixed. After mitigation, I feel safe in my home again. I want everyone to feel that way."