I am a young mother of three, healthy and have never smoked a day in my life. I want people to be aware that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer. Lung cancer from radon can be prevented.
"I'm a survivor. My radon story is important.
Until I was diagnosed with radon-induced lung cancer, I had no idea just how prevalent radon is in homes. I was diagnosed with stage 2 radon-induced lung cancer in 2019, and as a result, I had surgery to remove a lobe in my right lung followed by chemotherapy.
I am a young mother of three, healthy and have never smoked a day in my life. I want people to be aware that lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer-related death in Canada, and that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer. Lung cancer from radon can be prevented and no one should have to go through what I did. I was very lucky that my cancer was caught as early as it was. Most people do not get diagnosed until their lung cancer reveals symptoms because it is at a later, more deadly stage.
Today I am happy to be cancer-free. I have become highly passionate about raising awareness about radon and encouraging people to test their homes. In 2020 I was proclaimed a Lung Sask radon ambassador and was featured in the first-ever ‘My Radon story’ campaign. I am thrilled that I am joined by radon ambassadors across the country this year to help spread the message - protect your family, test your home for radon.
There is no way to know how much radon is in your home unless you test your home. Radon is so prevalent in not only Saskatchewan but around the country and families are unknowingly being exposed to this cancer-causing gas and are at risk of a future cancer diagnosis. We protect our children daily with helmets, seat belts, carbon monoxide detectors, so why are we not testing for radon, the leading cause of lung cancer in people just like me that have never smoked? It is important to know if your home has dangerously high levels of radon and then take the necessary steps to mitigate in order to have your family breathing air that is safe and healthy. The air you breathe today will affect your tomorrow.”