Thinking About Quitting?
Quitting vaping can be easier when you have a plan. Find out what steps you can take to get ready to quit vaping.
Know Why You’re Quitting
There are many good reasons to stop vaping. Do you want to feel healthier? Save money? Knowing why you want to quit vaping can help you stay motivated and focused on your goal to become vape-free. Think about the things in your life that are important to you. Does vaping get in the way of what’s important? Visit SmokeFree.gov and answer questions and see how vaping may be affecting your life.
Make a list of all the reasons that you want to quit vaping and put it in a place where you will see it often. It might help to keep the list on your phone. When you have the urge to vape, look at the list to remind yourself why you want to stop vaping. Frequently reminding yourself why you want to quit can keep you focused on quitting vaping.
Commit to Your Quit
The first step to giving up vaping is to choose a date to quit. Here are some tips to help you pick a quit date:
- Give yourself time to get ready. Getting ready can help you feel confident and give you the skills you’ll need to stay quit.
- Don’t put it off for too long. Picking a date too far away gives you time to change your mind or become less interested in quitting. Choose a date that is no more than a week or two away.
- Set yourself up for success. Try not to pick a quit date that will be stressful, like the day before a big test.
Have you picked your quit date? Circle it on your calendar or set an alert on your phone, and make sure you have a plan for what you will do on the big day.
Create Your Quit Plan
Create a personalized quit plan to help you stay confident and motivated to quit vaping. Having a plan for handling the tough times can help you stay on track and increases your chances of quitting successfully.
Know What Challenges to Expect
The first few weeks of quitting vaping are usually the hardest. Take it one day at a time. You may face some challenges along the way, but knowing what to expect and being prepared can help.
- Learn your triggers. Certain people, feelings, or situations can cause you to want to vape. It’s important to know your triggers. It may be best to avoid situations that can trigger you to vape when you’re in the early stages of your quit.
- Prepare for cravings and withdrawal. Think about how you will fight cravings and deal with withdrawal symptoms. Knowing what to expect and having strategies for handling thoughts about vaping or uncomfortable feelings will help you succeed and stay with your quit in those tough moments.
- Resist temptations. Avoid places and situations where others are vaping. If you can’t avoid being around vaping, plan for how you will handle these situations. Maybe that means you take a temporary break from friends you vape with and think about what you will say if somebody offers you a vape.
Imagine Your Vape-Free Self
It might be hard to imagine your life without e-cigarettes – especially if vaping is something you do a lot throughout the day. You might feel like a piece of yourself is missing when you first quit. It can take time to get used to the new vape-free you, but over time this will become your new normal. Here are some strategies that can help:
- Make the mental shift. Start thinking of yourself as someone who doesn’t vape. This will help separate you from vaping and give you the confidence to quit and stay quit.
- Focus on the positive. Make a list of all the positive things about yourself that don’t involve vaping and put it somewhere you can see often, like on your bedroom wall or phone. It will remind you that vaping does not define who you are.
- Picture the future you. Think about who you want to be in the future. Compare that with who you are now. Ask yourself: How are they different? How does vaping get in the way of what you want for the future? The answer to this can help motivate you to stick to your decision to quit.
Build Your Team
Surrounding yourself with supportive people can make it easier to quit vaping. Friends, family, co-workers, and others can be there to listen, boost your mood, and distract you from using your vape.
Ask for help. You don’t have to do it alone. If you feel comfortable, tell your friends and family that you’re quitting vaping and that you will need their support. Here are some ways to ask for the support you need.
Other Resources To Help You On Your Reduction or Quit Journey