Why is it prescribed?
Selexipag is used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) in adults.
Products that have this ingredient include •Uptravi® tablets •
Common side effects
- Jaw pain
- Muscle pain
- Pain in Extremity
- Joint pain
- Decreased appetite
Selexipag is an oral prostacyclin IP receptor agonist which widens the arteries that carry blood from the heart to the lung and reduces their hardening. This makes it easier for the heart to pump blood through the pulmonary arteries.
Talk to your healthcare professional before you take selexepag if you:
- have low blood pressure
- have liver problems
- have kidney problems or are on dialysis
- have narrowing of the pulmonary veins, a condition called pulmonary veno-occlusive disease (PVOD)
- have overactive thyroid gland
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeeding
Drug interactions - The following may interact with selexepag:
- Valproic acid
Use in pregnancy: At this time, there is a limited amount of information on the use of selexipag in pregnant women and use is not recommended.
Use in breastfeeding: it is not known whether selexipag is found in human milk and use is not recommended.