This product is taken sublingually.
Why is it prescribed?
This medication is for adults aged 18 to 65 who are allergic to house dust mites and have allergic rhinitis - sneezing, runny or itchy nose, stuffed up nose. It does not provide immediate relief of these symptoms.
Instructions for use:
- Remove the tablet from the package with dry hands by carefully removing the foil. (If your hands are wet or damp, the tablet will break or dissolve too soon.)
- Place the tablet under the tongue right away. It will rapidly dissolve.
- Do not swallow for about 1 minute.
- Do not drink or eat for 5 minutes after taking the tablet.
- Wash your hands after handling the tablet.
Store at room temperature in the original package and protect from moisture.
The recommended dose is 1 tablet placed under the tongue once daily. The first dose must be taken at the doctor’s office. The doctor will keep you at the office for 30 minutes to check for possible serious side effects. After that, the medication may be taken at home.
The immune system is the target of immunotherapy. The aim is to prevent or suppress allergic symptoms, such as allergic rhinitis, through repeated administration of the allergen. The effect of sublingual immunotherapy is thought to be mediated through local and systemic immunomodulatory mechanisms (immune deviation) including changes in allergen specific antibodies and regulatory T- cells leading to long-term tolerance development.
The most common side effects include:
- throat irritation
- itching of the ears and/or mouth
- tingling and/or burning of the mouth
- swelling of the mouth including lips and/or tongue
Stop treatment and get emergency medical treatment right away if you have any of the following side effects:
- dizziness, fainting, fast or weak heartbeat, feeling nervous or feeling of “impending doom”
- throat tightness or swelling of the tongue or throat that causes trouble speaking, breathing or swallowing
- wheezing, shortness of breath, cough, chest tightness or trouble breathing
- stomach cramps, vomiting or diarrhea
- skin rash, itching, flushing or hives
Do not use this medication if:
- you are under 18 years of age (safety has not been determined)
- you have had a previous serious allergic reaction to house dust mite allergy shots, tablets or drops;
- you have severe or unstable asthma.
- you have any swelling or sores in your mouth or have recently had any mouth injury or mouth surgery (such as a tooth removal).
- you have eosinophilic esophagitis.
Discuss use of this medication with your physician or pharmacist if you have:
- ever had a serious allergic reaction to allergy shots, tablets or drops
- worsening asthma symptoms or breathing problems
- a respiratory infection, such as common cold, sore throat or pneumonia
- a condition affecting the immune system e.g. autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis
Use in pregnancy: Therapy with this medication should not be started during pregnancy because possibility of a severe allergic reaction may be dangerous to the mother or fetus. Otherwise, no untoward effects are expected since the medication is not absorbed into the blood streatm.
Use in breastfeeding: No human studies have been performed. It is not known whether this medication is passed on to the infant in human milk.