This product is taken via nasal inhalation.
Why is it prescribed?
Dymista® is a prescription medicine used to treat symptoms of moderate to severe seasonal allergic rhinitis (allergy in the nose) and related eye symptoms in patients 12 years of age and older.
For nasal use only. Use regularly to get maximum effect.
Instructions for use:
1. Shake the bottle for 5 seconds and then remove the protective cap
2. The first time the nasal spray is used, you must prime the pump. Prime the pump by putting two fingers on either side of the spray pump and place your thumb on the bottom of the bottle. Press down and release the pump 5 times into the air until a fine mist appears. Now your pump is primed and ready to use.
3. If the nasal spray has not been used for more than 7 days, you will need to prime the pump until a fine mist appears again.
Using the spray
1. Blow your nose to clear your nostrils.
2. Keep your head tilted downwards towards your toes. Do not tilt head backwards.
3. Hold the bottle upright and carefully insert the spray tip into one nostril.
4. Close other nostril with your finger, rapidly press down once on the spray pump and sniff gently at the same time.
5. Breathe out through your mouth.
6. Repeat in your other nostril.
7. Breathe in gently, and do not tilt your head back after dosing. This will stop the medicine going into your throat and causing an unpleasant taste.
8. After each use wipe the spray tip with a clean tissue or cloth and then replace the protective cap.
You may experience a bitter taste in your mouth, especially if you tilt your head backwards when you are using the nasal spray. This is normal. This should go away if you have a soft drink a few minutes after using this medicine. Occasionally you may sneeze a little after using this spray but this soon stops. You may experience an unpleasant smell.
The recommended dose for adults and adolescents 12 years and older: one spray in each nostril twice daily.
Dymista® contains two medications: azelastine - an antihistamine which works against allergies and fluticasone - a corticosteroid which helps with inflammation. The two work together to reduce inflammation of the lining of the nose; reducing stuffy/itching/runny nose, sneezing, eye redness and itchy/runny eyes.
Side effects that may occur with the use of Dymista® are:
- change in sense of taste and/or smell
- nose bleeds
- nasal ulcers; pain, burning, irritation crusting in the nose
- runny nose
- soreness or dryness in the inside of the nose sore throat
- upper respiratory tract infection
If any of these affects you severely, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Use with caution if you:
- Are allergic to any other corticosteroid or medications.
- Have green or yellow discharge from the nose.
- Have eye or vision problems, such as cataracts or glaucoma (increased pressure in your eye).
- Are taking other steroid medicine by mouth or as an injection.
- Are recovering from recent nasal surgery, nasal trauma or nasal ulcers.
- Have been near someone who has chickenpox or measles.
- Have a problem with your thyroid.
- Suffer from severe liver disease.
Drug interactions: These medications may interact with Dymista®:
- ritanovir (Norvir)
Use in pregnancy and breastfeeding - Human data is limited. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before using.