Why is it prescribed?
Cefotaxime can be used to treat many different infections. This information pertains to its use for pneumonia.
Products that have this ingredient include •Cefotaxime injection •
See other drugs used in the treatment of •pneumonia •
Side effects include:
- nausea, vomiting
- rash, itching
- pain and tenderness at injection site
- lower abdominal pain
Cefotaxime is a cephalosporin antibiotic. It kills certain bacteria that can cause infections such as pneumonia.
Do not use cefotaxime if:
- If you are allergic to cefotaxime or any cephalosporin antibiotic
Use cefotaxime with caution if you:
- are allergic to penicillin
- have colon (large intestine) problems
- have blood disorders like hemolytic anemia
- have kidney problems
Drug Interactions: The following may interact with cefotaxime:
Safety in pregnancy: Cefotaxime is considered compatible with pregnancy
Safety in breastfeeding: Cefotaxime is considered compatible with breastfeeding.