This product is taken via nebulizer.
Why is it prescribed?
Dornase alfa is used to treat patients with cystic fibrosis. It helps to break down the thick mucous in the airways, which improves lung function and reduces the risk of respiratory tract infections.
- Pulmozyme® should be administered only using the nebulizers and compressors listed in the product information.
- Use exactly as described in the product information
- Do not dilute or mix the Pulmozyme® solution with any other drugs in the nebulizer. Mixing of Pulmozyme® with other drugs could lead to changes in the actions of the medications.
- The ampoules do not contain a preservative. Once opened, the entire contents must be used or discarded.
- Refrigerate in its foil pouch at 2-8 degrees C.
- Store away from heat and direct light. Do not use the medicine if it has been exposed to room temperature for more than 24 hours.
- Do not use this medicine if it becomes cloudy or discoloured.
- Do not use this medicine after the expiry date on the package.
- Keep out of reach of young children.
See other products used in the treatment of •cystic fibrosis •
The usual dose is the contents of one ampoule to be inhaled each day via a nebulizer. Some patient will need to use one ampoule twice daily.
Dornase alfa is a man-made protein similar to a natural protein in your body called DNase. It works by helping to break down the thick mucus produced in the lungs of patients with cystic fibrosis.
If you experience any of the following serious side effects while taking dornase alfa, seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
- increased difficulty breathing;
- chest pain
Less serious side effects may be more likely to occur with the use of dornase alfa. Talk to your doctor if you experience any of the following side effects:
- voice alteration;
- sore throat;
- eye redness, irritation, or inflammation;
- nasal stuffiness or discharge;
- Do not use if allergic to dornase alfa or to any of the other ingredients in this product.
- Before using dornase alfa, tell your doctor if you have any other medical conditions or if you take other prescription or over-the-counter medicines. You may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during your treatment.
- no known drug interactions
Safety in pregnancy: There is no human data on use in pregnancy however, dornase alfa is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not use this medication without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment.
Safety in breastfeeding: It is not known whether dornase alfa passes into breast milk, however use is not expected to be harmful to the baby. Do not use dornase alfa without first talking to your doctor if you are breastfeeding.