The Saskatchewan Health Authority provides no-cost sleep lab and home testing services at the Sleep Disorder Centres in Saskatoon and Regina, most often by referral to a sleep physician. These testing sites do not sell continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) equipment.
Testing for sleep apnea is also offered by private oxygen or sleep apnea companies. Your doctor may refer you to one of these companies for testing and/or CPAP equipment support and sales. Please contact the company directly to arrange an appointment. Testing is not covered by Saskatchewan Health and a fee may be required for testing. People who meet specific criteria may qualify for a government-subsidized latest-generation CPAP machine through the Saskatchewan Aids to Independent Living (SAIL) program. CPAP’s can also be purchased privately or may be covered by private insurance with a prescription.
Things to consider when looking deciding what CPAP company to use:
- What is the cost of testing?
- Which store is close to my home?
- Do the staff have an attitude of helpfulness?
- Will the staff spend time helping me to get the right mask fit?
- Is there a broad selection of mask and machines to choose from?
- Does the company have a return or exchange policy for masks and CPAP machines?
- Does the company offer Virtual/Remote options for appointments?
Other questions you may wish to ask private companies before being tested for sleep apnea:
- Does a Saskatchewan-Certified Sleep Physician interpret the tests? (A Saskatchewan-certified sleep physician is required to interpret sleep tests in order to qualify for aSAIL CPAP machine).
- How long will it take to receive my test results?
- Are your employees recognized/licensed healthcare professionals such as Respiratory Therapists, Nurses, etc.?
- Do you assist in the process to apply for a SAIL CPAP machine?
- Does your company provide follow-up support and remote monitoring, is there cost?
- Do you obtain an insurance estimate of coverage from my insurance provider prior to purchase?
- Does the company allow trials of different CPAP machines before I decide which one to purchase?
- Are there any other costs that I might incur?
- What are your patient care values?
This information is also available as a downloadable PDF.