This product is taken via nebulizer.
Why is it prescribed?
Teva-Combo Sterinebs is indicated for the treatment of bronchospasm associated with COPD. It is not recommended for use in children less than 12 years of age.
Teva-Combo Sterinebs are meant for inhalation only via a nebulizer.
Your doctor, pharmacist or health care provider will instruct you on the proper use and care of the nebulizer. Make sure you understand exactly how to use it before proceeding.
Instructions for use:
1.Open the pouch foil and detach one plastic vial by pulling it firmly from the strip.
2.Open the vial by twisting off the top. It is important that you use the contents of the vial as soon as possible after opening it.
3.Squeeze the contents of the plastic vial into your nebulizer chamber. If your doctor has instructed you to use less than one complete vial, use a syringe to withdraw the prescribed dose. Any solution left in the plastic vial must be thrown away.
4.Using a syringe, add sodium chloride solution to the chamber if you have been directed to do so by your pharmacist or physician.
5.Gently shake the nebulizer chamber and connect it to the mouthpiece or face mask. Then connect the nebulizer tube to the air or oxygen pump and begin therapy.
6.Breathe calmly and deeply through the mask or mouthpiece until no more mist is formed in the nebulizer chamber. This usually takes 10-15 minutes. It is very important to adjust the face mask, if required, to prevent the mist from getting in your eyes.
7.Follow the instructions provided by the nebulizer and air pump manufacturers for the proper care and maintenance of the equipment. Keep the nebulizer, nebulizer tube and face mask clean to minimize microbial contamination
Unopened unit dose vials should be stored away from direct sunlight and kept between 15 to 25 degrees centigrade. Do not use if the solution has changed color or become cloudy.
See other products used in the treatment of •allergic rhinitis •asthma •bronchitis •bronchospasm associated with COPD •chronic bronchitis (COPD) •COPD •emphysema (COPD) •hay fever •perennial rhinitis •rhinitis •runny nose •seasonal rhinitis •exercise-induced bronchospasm •
For adults and children over 12 years of age, the recommended dose is one unit dose vial by nebulizer three to four times daily.
Teva-Combo is a combination of 2 bronchodilators - ipratropium and salbutamol. They work by relaxing the muscles surrounding the bronchioles (airways to the lungs) and therefore, help to treat the wheezing or shortness of breath caused by COPD - a lung disease where there is a permanent narrowing of the airways. This medication starts to work in 5 to 15 minutes and maximum effect occurs between 1 and 2 hours after taking. The effects last for approximately 8 hours.
Side effects may include:
- wheezing after inhalation
- headache, dizziness
- nausea (feeling sick), digestive problems like constipation, diarrhea and vomiting
- muscle problems such as cramps, weakness, pain, feeling weak, tremor (shaking)
- feeling nervous
- mental disorder
- impaired voice sounds
- increased sweating
- bronchitis and upper respiratory tract infection (a cold)
- throat irritation, cough, dry mouth or throat, bad taste - sucking on a sour candy or rinsing your mouth may help.
The solution is intended for inhalation only.
Avoid getting the spray into your eyes. This may result in eye pain and/or discomfort, temporary blurring of vision, and/or colored images in association with red eyes. Should any of these symptoms develop, consult a doctor immediately.
BEFORE you use this medication, talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you:
- are having treatment for a thyroid or adrenal gland condition
- are having treatment for high blood pressure, angina, or a heart problem
- have diabetes
- have low levels of potassium in your blood (hypokalemia), especially if you are taking: drugs known as xanthine derivatives (such as theophylline),steroids to treat asthma or water pills (diuretics)
- have eye problems, such as glaucoma, or eye pain
- are taking any other medications including eye drops or any medications you can buy without a prescription
- have difficulty in urination
- have enlarged prostate
- have any allergies or reactions to foods or drugs
- have a history of convulsions (uncontrolled shaking or seizures)
- have liver or kidney disease
Contact your doctor immediately if:
- you require more than the recommended daily dose
- your shortness of breath becomes worse
- you don't get the same benefit from your medicine as you did before
- you have breathing difficulties and chest pain
- you experience difficulty with urination
Teva-combo Sterinebs may cause dizziness, difficulty in focusing the eye, dilated pupils, and blurred vision. You should not drive or operate machinery if this occurs.
The use of Teva-combo Sterinebs may test positive for performance enhancement (doping) in athletic competition.
Use in pregnancy: Considered safe to use in pregnancy, but consult your doctor or pharmacist before use.
Use in lactation: Considered safe for use in breastfeeding, but consult your doctor or pharmacist before use.