All Saskatchewan Residents Should Inspect Exhaust Vents After Snowstorm

The Lung Association of Saskatchewan recommends homeowners inspect all exhaust vents to ensure they are clear of snow or ice after the blizzard that hit parts of the province. These include dryer, furnace, fireplace, gas or wood-burning stoves, or heat recovery ventilators. Covered vents can lead to an increased risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Lung Association of Saskatchewan recommends that all homes have a Standards Council of Canada approved carbon monoxide tester in their homes and check the batteries regularly.




 

Common signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

Dull headache
Weakness
Dizziness
Nausea or vomiting
Shortness of breath
Confusion
Blurred vision
Loss of consciousness

If you suspect your home has high levels of carbon monoxide, leave your house immediately and call 9-1-1.

Page Last Updated: 12/11/2020